Root canal therapy treats the inside part of the tooth, so it’s known as the endodontic procedure. Our inside part of teeth consists of a pulp chamber and root canals that are full of the dental pulp. Deep decay or fracture can affect the tooth pulp.
If this happens, the pulp becomes infected and inflamed. A pulp infection can spread everywhere in the mouth and you can’t save it without doing a root canal procedure. Through a root canal procedure, the infected pulp is removed from inside the teeth and the teeth are filled.
Myths of root canal therapy
Most of us are scared even hearing the name of the root canal treatment. People have spread rumors regarding root canal therapy. You might have heard about a root canal is painful, invasive, intense and even the worst dental procedure. None of the above is true.
The root canal is performed to prevent something much worse. Nowadays root canal has become straight forward, pain-free and easier than before. Root canal has a fearsome reputation because it’s misunderstood. If you are thinking of getting root canal therapy in Campbell, go for it fearlessly.
How does root canal procedure work?
Given below are the steps that provide a full idea about the working of root canal procedure:
- At first, your dentist will conduct an x-ray to determine the condition of your teeth.
- With the help of a local anesthetic, the affected tooth will be numbed.
- A dental dam or rubber sheet is placed around the teeth to protect the bacteria and other things from getting inside the teeth.
- With the help of a dental drill, a small opening will be made into the teeth by your dentist. The dentist can now access the pulp chamber through this opening.
- The pulp is removed with the help of endodontic files and the walls of the root canal are shaped. The root canal is then disinfected and the hollow part of the root canal is filled with a rubber kind of material known as gutta-percha.
- A crown restoration may also be required after the therapy.
Patients may have a normal discomfort for about 3 to 4 days. If the pain is unbearable and continued for long, immediately visit your dentist.
If you need root canal therapy, visit us at Lotus Dental and get exceptional services for a root canal today. Contact us for booking your appointment.