- give up smoking
- eat a healthy, balanced diet and avoid eating strongly flavored or spicy food
- cut down on sugary food and drink as it can increase the number of bacteria in your mouth
- reduce your alcohol consumption
- cut down on coffee
- drink plenty of water to help prevent your mouth becoming dry
- chew sugar-free gum after eating to stimulate the flow of saliva – this will help clean away any remaining food particles
You should visit your dentist for regular check-ups. Having regular dental check-ups will ensure any plaque and calculus – previously known as tartar – is removed from your teeth, particularly in areas that are difficult to reach.